Saturday, July 30, 2011

What Is There To be Happy About?

I am reading a great deal lately about the importance of gratitude. The information consistently says that, the more we are happy and thankful for what we already have, the happier we will feel. We are also more likely to continue to receive more of what makes us happy.

The question is..what do we have in our lives to be happy about? For some, answers come easily. This is not the case for others. I saw a book in the store today called "14,000 Things To Be Happy About". It talked about the big things, like family and friends. However, to get that many things to be happy about, you have to dig deep. They did, and mentioned things like cool breezes, supermarkets, bookstores, etc. It's a great idea, but there can't be 14,000 things to be happy about. Is it possible?

This is where I have to disagree with the author. There cannot be 14,000 ways. Instead, I believe...there must be more!! When I think about this further, the things that make me happy are (or should be) unlimited. The key to achieving this happiness is to find as many ways as possible to be happy, and finding as many things as possible to be thankful for. As this book showed, we can be thankful for the smallest of things. I find that, when I am thankful for even the smallest things, those little things that get under my skin, don't quite get to me. Those little pains in the neck aren't felt so much any more.

It is very true. The more gratitude we show, the happier we are. Let us focus on the things (big and small) we can be thankful for. As a result, we will see more of them in our lives. Enjoy the blessings : )

No comments: