Monday, July 25, 2011

A Definition Of The Spirit of Power

I've often shared one of my favorite (as my regular readers can tell I have many favorites) Bible verses as 2 Timothy 1:7. It says...for God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline.

One may ask..what does one mean by a spirit of power? I have always seen it as the power of God that dwells in and around us. However, I read an article recently that has helped me gain an additional understanding and application of this concept. I found this article by Diane Langberg in my Couples Devotional Bible. She refers to this "spirit" as "the dominant tendency of the mind". She then stresses that is an attitude built upon the assumption that I am a person created by God, a joint heir with Christ, and an important part of this Body. Finally, she says that it is only when we set our minds on exercising that spirit of power, love, and self-control that emotions (especially negative ones) will cease to be the ruling force in our lives.

I find this information very interesting. I've seen in my own life that when my own emotions are the ruling force in my life, I fall short of where I want to be. When I focus my mind on this awesome power that I have, then I excel, even when negative situations arise. It is then where my faith is strong, I am quick to act, and my life and the lives of those around me are positively impacted.

Let us follow the advice of "setting our minds on exercising that spirit of power, love, and self-control. How do we do it? Take time-outs through the day and reflect on God and His goodness. Thank Him for His awesome power that is part of every one of us. If possible, find a block of time each day to reflect on Him, read His word, and meditate on His greatness. I try to find 15-30 minutes. If that is not possible, even taking 5-10 can still make a difference on your frame of mind.

The best part is that God wants us to be vessels of His power to do good works and have positive impacts. He will make sure it happens as long as we act and we maintain a positive, faithful mind. Focus on this verse all day, and watch the great things happen. Please share when they do. Enjoy the blessings : )

No comments: