Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lessons From Papa

Today is the 17th anniversary of my grandfather's death. Obviously he's been on my mind a lot today. We got along great, and I still miss him very much. We had very similiar personalitles, from our sensitivity, love of people, and sense of humor that have some laughing, and others being driven up the wall.

As I reflect on the memories today, there are three main areas where I believe he has had a great influence on me:

1. Generosity - I think he focused less on himself than anyone else. He never had much money, but he would have given the world to those he loved if he could have. Still, he often practiced generosity almost every time I saw him, which was quite often. He was also a people pleaser, and was very sensitive to responding to the needs of others.

2. Sense of humor - Although he took his life responsibilities seriously, he would do ANYTHING to make someone laugh. The funny thing is that he would be laughing right along with them. Even when life was tough, he never took things TOO seriously. At least I never saw it.

3. He fought for what he believed in - Whether it was fighting for his country (he fought in WWII), or defending his family, he never backed down from a challenge, especially if it regarded his faith, family, or friends.

I am very thankful for the memories of my papa, and especially for the valuable lessons he taught me. I hope I can carry out this excellent example in my own life. Thanks Papa : )

No comments: