Monday, February 8, 2010

Say My Name

"Say My Name, Say My Name.... I found myself humming this Destinys Child tune today for some reason. It's a catchy one!

The song made me think about the power of a name. Are you looking for a way to positively impact the people you deal with? If so, it is necessary to understand the importance and power of using someone's name when talking to them. In the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People", Dale Carnegie states that, "a person's name is, to that person, the sweetest and most important sound in any language". He adds that one's name is wholly and completely owned by the person with whom we are dealing....and nobody else. The name sets the individual apart (p. 112-113).

How true is this? I think about when someone uses my name when talking to me. I feel more comfortable, more valued, and more part of the conversation. I feel like the person can relate to me. Businesses that deal with customers also understand the importance of using names. At one job I worked at, one of the criteria for each customer interaction was using their name a certain number of times during the call.

I have always struggled in this area because I have not been good at remembering names. As a result, I didn't use names when talking to people, even people I knew well. However, after reading this information, I realized that the reason I couldn't remember names well is because I wasn't trying hard enough. I wasn't making enough of an effort. In recent times I have made a better effort to remember names of people I meet, and use them throughout conversations with anyone I talk to, including those closest to me. In my observation it does have an impact. I have even seen people smile as I use their name in conversation. At my school, it is a great way to get and maintain my students' attention. If one is off task, sometimes just a gentle calling of their name brings them right back.

I will end with the reminder that people desire to be valued by their fellow human beings. One of the best ways to show value to them is to use their names regularly. Let them hear that sweet sound mentioned earlier. It has a much more powerful impact than you may realize. What can the results be? You name it!

Have an excellent day!

Joe

No comments: