Wednesday, February 24, 2010

How Often Should We Pray

Is there a certain amount of time that we need to pray? Can we pray too much or too little? I have heard some debate about this topic. One side says we should present our prayer once and let God take it from there. They say that if we keep praying about the same thing it shows a lack of faith. On the other side, some say we should pray constantly and continually for any need we have.

In my opinion, the best debate settler about topics like this is the Bible. In Thessalonians I 5:17, our question is answered in plain and simple fashion....pray without ceasing. That's the entire verse right there. Do we need any more of an explanation?

I believe this means more than just simply continuing to pray about things in our lives. To me, it is constant communication with God throughout the day. I'm sure He appreciates any prayer, but constant communication can only enhance our heavenly relationship to a high level, resulting in many blessings for us and those around us. The Life Application Bible describes praying without ceasing as "acknowledging our dependence on God, realizing His presence within us, and determining to obey Him fully". It adds that it is very effective to pray "frequent, spontaneous, short prayers" throughout each day. I find that my day goes so much better and I am much more effective when I can acknowledge this presence throughout the day.

Prayer is powerful and effective. When used continually, it can have unbelievable, powerful impacts on our lives. It is not meant to be done once and then forgotten. God does not need our prayers to act. However, He loves to hear from us, and will bless us for going to Him. As it says in the next verse, this is His will for us. Isn't that a great and assuring promise? Try it our for yourself. I believe you will quickly see the rewards. Please share when you do! I will discuss the last part of this simple, three part will of God in my next entry.

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: