Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Prayer of Nehemiah

How is your prayer life these days? I certainly hope some of the information presented here regarding different prayer types has added some insight to your prayer life. These methods of prayer I've discussed during the past few days have helped me a great deal.

Another prayer I've been intrigued by is the prayer of Nehemiah. It is found in Nehemiah 1: 5-11. Like the Lord's prayer it is an excellent model for prayer, and it has all elements I believe God would look for in a prayer from us:

1. Praise/Thanksgiving - Before anything is said or asked for, he is praising and thanking God simply for who he is.

2. Forgiveness - I believe God is much more likely to hear and answer our prayer if we are coming to Him with a humble heart, asking for forgiveness.

3. Specific request - Once his heart is right, it is then that Nehemiah presents his case before the Lord. He is also specific and detailed in his prayer.

4. Expect the answer and blessing - As the prayer ends it is apparent to me that Nehemiah expects success and blessing. It is inspiration for us to expect the same. It may not happen the way we might think, but it will.

Once again we have for us an excellent model of prayer. I feel best about my prayers when I know they contain all of these elements. I believe God does too.

If you were to continue reading this book of the Bible you will see that Nehemiah was indeed blessed. A major reason was that, after praying this prayer, he immediately took action. He set goals, organized plans, and worked hard with no excuses. That's a sure way to success, and a lesson I need to learn for sure.

Once again I appreciate anyone reading this. I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me. If so, I would love to know.

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: