Monday, March 1, 2010

She Completely Ignored Me!

I live just outside of Buffalo NY. The city has a reputation of having some of the nicest people in the country. It is one of the reasons I moved here from Long Island years ago. Normally, when crossing paths with someone people say hello, even if it is someone they don't know.

I always like to do the same. Most people respond in a positive manner. However, there are times when we don't receive a response. There was a woman I worked with a few years back that was known for that. On more than one occasion I would say hello in passing. Instead of a pleasant return of the greeting, she would turn away and not say a word. At first I was offended. How rude! Then I wondered, "what did I do?" We didn't know each other well, so I knew there was nothing I could have done to make her angry with me. Later I found out that's just the way she was, as I heard several other faculty members complaining about the same exact thing when greeting her. Complete ignorance!

As I wondered how someone could be so cold, a thought hit me. It was a thought I didn't enjoy because I realized how guilty I was. The thought was this....there is a God in heaven that would like to greet me every day and make me aware of His presence. He wants to help me be the best I can be. I thought of how often I just completely ignore His greeting. Instead of a positive acknowledgement of His presence, I would go through my day completely on my own, without taking time to pray, reflect, appreciate, etc. How rude of ME!

These days, I must admit I am not as quick to just fast-forward through my day on my own without acknowledging my heavenly helper. However, there are still far too many days where I realize how much time has gone by and how far I have gone without acknowledging God's presence. I think of how much better and easier my day could have been had I even taken just a few minutes to slow down, reflect, and enjoy His presence.

I remind myself and anyone else who can relate to not be like this teacher who ignored the pleasant greetings of her co-workers, and the opportunity to be a light to her young students. Instead, I strive to return my Father's greeting, and use His inspiration to be a light to those around me. Luckily, He is not human and will not be offended by my lack of attention. Instead, He is readily available at any and every moment to hear my prayers and help me be the best I can be. The same is true for anyone else. So why not take a moment to accept His greeting, enjoy His presence, and use His help to make His world a better one. You and those around you will be seriously blessed as a result.

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: