Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Quiet Example

There are many of us that strive to be a positive example to those around us. Sometimes we have the best of intentions, but don't always make the impacts we are looking to make. At least I feel that way sometimes. In my case, I sometimes I get lazy. Other times I don't focus as well as I should, or the focus is too much on myself.

One big reason I believe we are not the best examples we can be sometimes is that we feel the task is too overwhelming. For those of us who would absolutely love to change the whole world ourselves, it seems like there is too much to do that is far beyond our control and ability. We feel like we have to do entirely too much to have any kind of an impact.

The truth is it is not as difficult as it seems, or as we make it to be. Yes, we make a difference when we go out of our way to make an effort and serve others. However, as I read more on the topic, I realize that the greatest way to make positive impacts is to be the best person we can be. The more we realize our own value, and the more comfortable we feel with ourselves, the more we will be able to share this value with others. The bottom line is the more that we see it, the more others will as well.

For me, this is a very comforting thought. I am realizing that, along with my many imperfections, I also have something of value to offer others. I have a Godly spirit that dwells in me, along with many fruits of that Spirit. It is comforting for me to know that just living out those fruits of the spirit and mirroring the qualities and attitudes of my Lord are enough to make many positive impacts on those around me. Nothing fancy. Nothing I can't do. Nothing out of my realm of possibility. Just being the best I can be. It's unbelieveable what a major difference something so simple can be.

I see this as I look back at the most powerful moments of my life. I've had the greatest impacts on others when I was most at peace with myself, and most willing to submit to the Heavenly spirit within me. Now that I am aware of this, I will make a much more conscious effort to be my best and use that to be a blessing to others. I also believe this will make it easier to perform acts of service for others, as I can feel like I don't have to go above and beyond what I believe I can do.

I hope this information helps you as much as it is helping me. Please remember how special and valuable you are in God's eyes. Please make sure you see it in your own eyes too. If you do, many more eyes will see your positive example. As always, I would love to hear your story.

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: