Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Be "Into It"

It's always exciting to receive a new friend request on Facebook. I love the site because I am back in touch with many friends I thought I would never speak to again. Not only does it bring the people back, but many memories as well.

I received a request recently from an old friend from Long Island that triggered a very positive memory. I was 19, and we were away on a youth retreat in Springfield, Mass. It was at a time in my life where things were going very well, and my personal confidence was at an all-time high. Many of my best friends were also on this retreat, and I just enjoyed the time immensely.

This Facebook friend was one of the youth leaders, and one night he asked to talk and pray with me. I was quite surprised with what he said. However, I still remember it clearly, almost 25 years later. He thanked me for being such a positive light on this retreat and for all I had done to add to the positivity of it. When I thanked him and asked what I had done, he just said, "you're just so 'into it'".

I took this as the ultimate compliment. Again, I never have and never will forget it. He didn't say what he meant by "into it", but I have an idea. I had three things going for me this weekend:

1. I was constantly positive - I felt very good about myself and I very much appreciated the company around me. I was not afraid to demonstrate this confidence or tell my friends how much I was enjoying the time with them.

2. I laughed a lot, and never lost the smile on my face. I simply enjoyed the moment to the fullest. I am sure I could have found things to complain about, but I had no interest. The time was just too good, and I was intent on keeping it that way.

3. I was very close to God - I've been close to Him for a long time, but my communication with Him was constant and intense this weekend. Also, I was very thankful throughout, and appreciated the beauty in the entire experience.

I use this as a reminder in my current life. As I reflect further, I see that these three attitudes are prevelant during all of my most successful times in life. I realize that if I want to maximize my success today, I need to follow these same guidelines on a consistent basis. As my youth leader proved to me, not only does it benefit me, but other people notice and are positively impacted. This attitude is contagious and can do wonders in making one's world more positive.

I thank this friend for keeping in touch and for reminding me of this simple formula for success and positive impacts. It doesn't only work for me, but it will work for anyone. Life is a great experience, so let's "get into it".

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: