Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Way To Benefit From The Past

I often write on this site about the importance of focusing on the present instead of the past. However, I do a little mental exercise every once in a while that does focus on past events. I find it very helpful.

We often focus on the negatives of our past. The mistakes we've made; the people we've let down; the could have, should haves. However, for each of us, there are events in our past we are proud of. The times we've accomplished the goal; people we've helped; the successes. It is these that I focus on.

Sometimes I like to play a little game. I am very good at associating songs with the time of my life that they were popular. The game is, when a song comes on the radio, I bring myself back to that time of my life and re-live what I was doing, what I was feeling, who I was with, etc. It is very powerful, as I actually re-live some of those feelings, especially as I review some of the happier times of my life.

I recommend this activity (or something like it) to anyone. Remember a time in your life when things were good and you were extra positive and successful. Then feel the joy and positive emotions again as you re-live it. With this activity some may say I am going against my philosophy and I am living in the past again. If so, I understand. The key is to bring those same feelings to the present, and maintain them. This is especially true if you are having more negative feelings during these prsent days.

As we maintain positive emotions, we see positive events in our lives and receive positive feedback from those around us. We may not experience the same successes as in the past, but we receive new ones instead. Sometimes the new ones are even more rewarding.

The bottom line is that, when we maintain positive emotions, our overall life turns out that way. This exercise helps us use the past to do so. Instead of using the past to remind you of your past mistakes, use it to remind yourself of the confidence and power that is within you. Know that you can use it as much today as you did in your glory days. If you maintain positive emotions, these present days can be called your glory days. Enjoy the blessings : )

No comments: