Saturday, October 30, 2010

The First Day of the Rest of Our Lives

Do you ever have days where you are convinced God is trying to tell you something? It is usually when you hear the same message several times in a day, via several different means. I experienced that today, where I heard the message of the above title in several ways. First, there is a great song by Matt Maher called "Hold Us Together". The catchiest part of the song is the part where he sings, "this is the first day of the rest of your life". I am also on several e-mail lists, and this was the message for two that I received today.

I believe this message is an excellent one. It's a fact. Today is the first day of the rest of our lives. For me it is very comforting and inspiring to know that whatever mistakes I've made before today are history. Whatever sins I've commited are forgiven as long as I ask for forgiveness. Whatever I failed to do in the past does not have to affect me today.

I've said this before, but I am so thankful that God divided time into days. Each day is a clean slate, and another chance to positively affect the present and future. We may not have reached our goals yet, but today we can be one step closer. You may feel that you haven't been the best person you can be, but today is an opportunity to change that.

Let us take advantage of the opportunity that each day gives us. I believe that is what God is telling me today. I also believe He is telling me to focus on each day and to do all I can to be my best for myself and those around me. It's true for me, and I challenge anyone else to do the same. After all, this is the first day of the rest of our lives.

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: