Sunday, October 17, 2010

If You Can?

One of my favorite stories in the Bible (Mark 9 20-24) is one about a man whose son is demon-possessed, and has been since he was very young. He finds out Jesus is in town and goes to him for help. He says..."if you can do anything, take pity and help us". I love the response from Jesus...If you can? As if to say, are you kidding me?

As much as I enjoy this verse, it is also one that hits me in a negative way. I think of how many times I've prayed in the same way. Well God maybe you can. If you are able, please help. I have prayed like this far too often, wondering why I don't see the results I sometimes crave.

After Jesus questions the man, he makes a key statement. "Everything is possible for him who believes". Notice the first word. God is not a "sometimes" God. He is faithful at all times. Notice the last word. Believe. If we believe in the faithfulness of God and that "he can", then everything is possible. It's as simple as that.

One other way I can relate to the man in this story is that he acknowledged his faith was not up to par. He says, "I do believe: help me overcome my belief!" In many instances I am the same. I believe, yet I have difficulty believing. I believe my faith is strong, However, there are times when I still doubt. What do we do if we need faith for miracles in our lives, but we don't display or don't "feel" that faith? I believe this story shows that we can ask for that faith. This man admitted to Jesus himself that he still lacked perfect faith. However, he asked for help with this and his request of his son's healing was granted. We can do the same. When we do, I believe God will make things happen that will automatically increase our faith.

I challenge anyone to remember this the next time you ask "if He can". Take away the "if" and know that he can. And when we believe it, HE WILL!!

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: