Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Playing Hookey

I'm not one to complain about my job much. However, I am deliberately not going in today. Most schools in this country are done for the summer. However, my charter school is open 'til Thursday. Finals ended and grades closed last week. All we've been doing is watching movies and playing kickball with the less than 50% of the 7th and 8th grade students that are showing up. I'm sorry, but I am paid to teach, not babysit.

I share this because I find such value in extra off days. You may tell me that I have a whole summer off beginning next week. True, but I plan on working full-time to pay some bills. Part of that job hunt continues today. I can also get so many other things done today. Time with my kids (who are already on vacation); respond to the e-mails that are awaiting me; write some blogs; finish the book I am writing; mow the lawns and clean the pool; and anything else that needs to get done. All with a clear mind focused on positive thoughts instead of the negatives of wasting more time at work.

We're not supposed to play hookey. Yet sometimes it is very valuable for keeping a positive frame of mind. Today is one of those days.

No comments: