Tuesday, July 20, 2010

As a Man (or a Woman) Thinks

One can read the book of Proverbs anytime, anywhere, and find gold mines of excellent advice. One of my favorites is 23:7 which says, "as a man thinks so is he".

Ok, so what's the big deal about that? Before I answer, I will say that I continually read articles and books that stress the importance of seeing ourselves positively. That does not mean seeing ourselves as better than anyone else. It simply means seeing ourselves as God sees us: unique, beautiful individuals who all have a significant part to play in this world we live in.

Ok, so here's the big deal. If we see ourselves as that unique, beautiful individual... that is what we will be. We shouldn't be overly concerned with how people see us (easier said than done), but this is what they will see if we believe it. I am sure you can think of plenty of examples to back this up. Maybe you looked really good in that new outfit, and you knew it. You felt beautiful. I'm willing to bet many you came in contact with that day thought so too. Maybe you lost a significant amount of weight. You felt legitimately good about yourself. That was a positive change, and I would guess that several more positive changes followed as a result. Ever wonder why some people seem to make all the sales? It's because they see themselves as personable, confident, and able. And so does everyone else.

I will say that this is simply my interpretation of this verse, and I may even be stretching it a bit. The point is that I believe we are as we see ourselves. Even though no one is perfect, hopefully you see yourself as the unique, beautiful individual that you are. God does.

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: