Sunday, May 2, 2010

Focusing on the Moment

I was watching a beautiful sunset the other day. It was just one of those classic, beautiful settings outside my kitchen window on a warm Spring day. I watched it for a few seconds and enjoyed it. That is, until I thought of all the the things I still had to do that day. At that time, I left the window, and continued to get drawn in to my busy schedule.

Those that have been reading this blog may be thinking that I am writing different blogs about this same subject of focus on the present. I can't disagree if you think that. However, because of this situation and others, I feel the need to share this information.

I was quite disappointed in myself as I looked back on this situation. I couldn't enjoy a God-given, colorful sunset. Instead I focused on my business and worries, afraid that something wasn't going to get done on time. I've had a tendency to do this. I remember being at my parents' house in the country. We were outside at night, and there were millions of stars in the sky, much more than we can see in our suburban backyard. We also saw many shooting stars. However, I remember going inside much earlier than I would have liked. One reason was because the bugs were getting to me. The other is that I felt the need to get in and rest for my four hour drive home the next day. Once again, I could not enjoy one of nature's greatest moments because I focused on distractions and worries.

I keep reading these days about enjoying and taking advantage of the present moment. Some of those moments, like the scenic sunset and shooting star show, don't come about often. So why not fully enjoy them when they do? So what if the bugs are biting. So what if the clock is ticking faster than we would like. So what if some distractions come our way. Instead of focusing on them and what we may have to do tomorrow, why not enjoy what we have today. Enjoy and meditate on God's beauty all around us. Enjoy and love the beautiful people God has put in our lives (even the ones we don't want to). Enjoy the magic of each day we have on this earth. There is something beautiful about each one.

I wish I could say distractions and negative situations won't come into our lives. We all know they do. However, if we take the time to focus on the positive, the beautiful, and the good of the present moment, we will have the power to swat the negatives away like a persistent gnat.

I pledge to spend more time enjoying the great things around me, and not letting the negative thoughts and worries enter my head when I do. I am a positive person, and it's time to start acting that way. I would recommend the same for anyone. The next time you see the beautiful sunset, meteor shower, or any of nature's beautiful moments, please spend the extra time to enjoy them without letting any of life's distractions interfere. I believe that's exactly how God intended it.

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: