Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Different Type of Apology

Are you someone who has a difficult time saying, "I'm sorry"? For me it's a matter of pride. It's not that I don't feel badly when I do something wrong or hurt someone. It's just that I hate myself for doing it, and saying I'm sorry just reminds me of my failure. Yes, I know it's a sad excuse. It's just one of my imperfections.

Some helpful information is contained in Jeff Gitomer's "The Golden Book of Yes". He provides an excellent alternative. If saying sorry is difficult, say "thank you". He suggests saying something like, "thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will take the necessary action to correct my mistake. And then of course, take the necessary action.

The reason for the effectiveness is that it demonstrates action. If said sincerely, the other person will believe that we are serious about correcting the mistake. Even though sorry is not said, it is understood. I have used this method at home, work, and anywhere else where my many mistakes are made, and it does make a difference.

I challenge anyone to try this. Saying a sincere I'm sorry is great. The problem is that many times it lacks sincerity and is said by someone just to get out of the situation. By saying thank you and implying action, one not only corrects the mistake, but goes above and beyond making things right. There is no doubt in the sincerity of that.

As my my tired mind is having problems gathering my thoughts, I apologize. However, I thank you for bringing it to my attention if I am confusing you, and promise to write with a much clearer head next time.

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: