Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's a Laughing Matter

The other day I was listening to a conversation. They were talking about an individual who spent a vacation with a group of people they didn't know very well. However, the person fit in perfectly, and his company was enjoyed by all. One of the reasons mentioned was that this person laughed a lot.

This struck my attention, and I took a short mental time-out from the conversation. Someone was a hit because they laughed a lot? As I thought about this further, I realized the truth in that statement. I enjoy this same person's company for the same reason...he laughs at my stupid jokes!

I realize how much more I enjoy certain people's company when they laugh a lot. I think of watching old sitcoms with my father. Part of the fun was hearing his contagious laugh. When I lived in New York, I regularly visited a comedy club with a friend of mine. The comics were funny, but I laughed even harder as I watched my friend convulse and laugh himself out of breath. These evenings were not the same when he was not there.

I have also received compliments from people at times I laughed a lot. I previously shared a story about how a friend was positively affected on a retreat because I was so "into it". Laughter was a regular part of that weekend.

In all of this there is a lesson. We can be great company by not being afraid to laugh, and not holding back from it. I would love it if someone said they had a better time when I was around because of the laughter I added to the gathering. The only problem is I don't do it enough. I pledge to see the humor in things and people more, and express it though my willingness to laugh. It's the least I can do to add a little joy to the world. Not only is it very easy to do, but it makes our lives more positive, and adds to the lives of those around us as well. I think it definitely puts a smile on God's face when we do.

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: