Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What Are You Thinking?

The question in the title is always an intriguing one. We are usually very curious about what someone else may be thinking, whether it is about us or any other topic. The answers to the question can be as interesting as curiosity that peaqued our question in the first place.

I present this question for a reason besides being curious about what you are thinking at the moment. Instead, I ask because many of my recent reading material suggests that we focus on what we are thinking on a regular basis. The information suggests that we have full control of the thoughts that enter our mind, and it is up to us to keep them positive.

Easier said than done? At first, one may be tempted to answer yes. However, the more I practice and experience the benefits of controlling my thoughts, the more natural it becomes. I realize more each day that by keeping my thoughts positive, I experience more of the positive in my life. The same is true for anyone else. I need to say that I don't believe we could or should completely avoid negative thoughts. It is nearly impossible to do so, and I believe we can use them to learn from difficult situations and creative positive outcomes from them.

At this point, many would ask, "what do I think about?" or "what is a good method I can use to keep my thoughts positive, especially when a great deal of negative is occuring around me?" In my opinion, the best way to start is by following St. Paul's advice from Philippians 4:8. It says: whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

I have found that it is a two step process. The first is to focus on the things noted above. The second is to stop at times during the day and actually take periodic time-outs. I find that it helps to just stop and think about peaceful, pure, and praiseworthy thoughts, even if it's only for a few minutes at a time. It is amazing how it keeps my perspective positive. The result is a more positive and productive day for me, and for those around me.

So now I ask again. What are you thinking? I suggest you try, as much as possible, to focus on the Biblical instructions from the Philippians verse. I believe you will be blessed if you do.

Have an excellent day : )

No comments: