Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Get Out of My Way!

I admit it. I am not a very patient driver. I have a great deal of patience in other areas of my life (I am a middle school teacher after all), but driving does not bring out the best in me. I sometimes have the attitude that the road belongs only to me, and anyone not going 0-5 miles over the speed limit is simply in my way. I have my destination in mind, but these "slow drivers" make it difficult to get there.

By all means, I am not proud of the above behavior. I have come a long way, but still have miles to go. When I thought about this the other day, I thought about how God must feel with me sometimes. How many times does He have a positive "destination" for my life only for me to get in the way and try to do things myself. If I just pulled over and got out of the way it would be easier for Him to do His will in my life. The ultimate result is more blessing for me and those around me.

God is so willing and able to do miracles in my life and yours. His power is so readily available. So why do I often ignore it and do things my way? A great example of this idea is found in the book Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz. He talks about having your own personal limo driver that offers to drive you all around New York City. Nothing to do but let him/her drive us through the traffic and allow us to enjoy the sights. Would we ask this person to take the passenger seat and then take control of the car ourselves, having to drive ourselves through the chaotic streets? I would hope not. The object would be to have them in control while we enjoy the sights. He also mentions that some people hire house cleaners, yet they themselves do some serious cleaning before the cleaner even gets there! Why not leave the cleaning in control of the person they've hired and enjoy the benefits of leaving it to them for a clean house?

I believe this is a great lesson to be learned. For many of us, life is good already. How much better can it be though, if we would be able to get out of our own way in life, and leave the control to the One who has all of the answers? It's a question I'm willing to see answered. I believe the result will be blessings from above. And I'll be much nicer when I drive : )

Have an excellent day!

No comments: